Thursday, March 20, 2008

MT Speaks

I enjoy listening to Mychal Thompson on radio 570. The other day he stated that high school and college referees want to be seen. They think "people came to see them ref." I don't disagree with this statement. My reasoning is simple. If we didn't care about "being seen," our rating, schedule and quality of games wouldn't matter. What would matter is the body of work, our attitude and introspection. This is another way of saying humility is not a bad thing.

Hey MT, why not the NBA officials? JT once told me that the NBA looks for personal qualities in an official. Not positioning or judgement. They look for people skills, personality traits. Often times people skills are code for getting along with people. Getting along often means being humble. Don't get me wrong, being humble doesn't mean you lack confidence. Often times a humble person is very confident, they just don't have to be sure that everyone knows it.

God Bless

No comments: