Friday, March 28, 2008

Success, that is the question

Everything will rise and fall on leadership. Don't think so. Work in an organization, take a job, help with an event and if the leadership is bad...You figure it out.

What is leadership. Servanthood, is a good place to start, have you ever had a superior ask you what do you need to be successful, and then help you with what you need. Not always the case. Those leaders who do that, you talk about loyalty, they get it.

How about this situation. Your leader is about a 5 out of 10 (10 being best) as a leader. You're a 7 out of 10. What level will you reach as a leader. Well the best you'll do is a 5, because that is as far as the leader will let you develop. That's the law of the lid. What would you do.

Good leaders will have a close inner circle. People who the leader trusts, respects, people who are smart and will disagree with the leader without embarrassing him or her. The inner circle are those who respect the leader most, because they know the leader. The inner circle will help the leader succeed if they are strong people. Who's your inner circle. Do they always agree with you?

I was asked the other day what I thought about the instructional program. I would say it was different. I think it was better, but not good. It has a way to go before I'd call it good. Do I think the direction we are taking could become part of the state teaching program, yes. Would I make some changes, yes. Will I make staff changes, yes. Would some members and board members disagree with the changes, yes. I have a vision for this unit that is clear to me. Have I shared it with enough people, most likely not. Will I be back as the IC? Don't know.

Want more about leadership Read: The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, by John Maxwell
Death by Meeting, or The 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, by Patrick Lencioni
Good to Great, by Jim Collins

God Bless

No comments: